News

Friday, May 22, 2009

Steve Perry "The Voice"

About this time last year the website votenumber1.com held a contest to determine the "Best Male Rock Singer of All-Time". The results can be found at:

http://www.votenumber1.com/results1malerocksinger.html


Fans from over 40 countries cast their votes for several months. I was one of those that not only voted, but kept track of the online vote throughout the process. It was extremely close up to the end with Freddie Mercury beating out Steve Perry by a fraction of a percent. Personally, I think Perry is much better, but that's just my Constitutionally guaranteed freedom of expression talking. See for yourself...




I'll admit I was sorely disappointed because I grew up with Journey playing on my turntable day in and day out, and Steve Perry's voice is the standard I have always compared every other singer to. However, coming in 2nd place to the lead singer of Queen, who was himself a unique and legendary singer, is no small accomplishment.



My ties to Steve Perry are mostly imagined – yes I wish he was my long, lost brother, my next door neighbor, Disc Golf partner, etc. However, he did grow up less than 30 miles from my hometown of Fresno, CA (he was born and raised in Hanford, CA and lived in Lemoore, CA while attending high school). Like me, Steve Perry has a special place in his heart for the San Joaquin Valley and has mentioned it in song and interviews.

Steve Perry's musical idol was the legendary Sam Cooke. Listening to Sam sing songs like Cupid, Good Times and You Send Me reveals the similarities in both singing styles. Steve Perry has been, and still is, my singing idol. Over the past 30-plus years of being a Perry fan, I have also developed some similarities in singing style. Oh heck, what am I saying? I can sing like Steve Perry and if you catch me in a good mood, I may even regale you with a sample sometime.

I have seen Journey in concert a handful of times back in their heyday...Fresno, San Francisco, Salt Lake City. They have always impressed. The band members are true musicians, exceptionally gifted at their respective musical talents.





Journey - Don't Stop believing - Watch more Videos at Vodpod.


Unfortunately, Journey is and has been without Steve Perry since the late 90's. They continue to actively record and perform with a new lead singer Arnel Pineda (their third lead singer in the last decade), and have recently released a new CD titled, "Revelation", which is pretty good.

Will there ever come a day when "The Voice" of Steve Perry will unite once again with the Neal Schon, Jonathan Cain, Ross Valery and Steve Smith? Who can say? It would be quite the event. However, I don't think it is likely. I would be very happy if Perry would just come out of his decade-long musical isolation and release a solo album once again. The man is 60 years old as of this past January. He needs to get on the ball. So here's to wishful thinking .



2 comments:

  1. What a great tribute to Steve Perry. It would be great if he actually stumbled upon this sometime. I'm sure there is not a bigger fan of his than you are. Plus, you're so talented yourself, I love hearing you sing Journey songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an acquaintence who went to school with Steve Perry. It must have been choir or singing class of some sort. The teacher told Steve Perry that he would never go anywhere because of his poor singing voice, that he did not "sing" the words but had a tendency to "say" the words when singing.

    Brian R.

    I, too, am a big fan.

    ReplyDelete